[Visual Studio] Fixing annoying bug [code 5455]

(Piszę ten post po angielsku bo może interesować dość szerokie grono odbiorców… A nie zajmuję się w nim jakąś wielką filozofią by nie wystarczyła podstawowa znajomość lengłydża.)

Today, when I’d started my PC after yesterday’s Windows 7 / Office updates I started my VS 2013 Update 3 and tried working on some project. But whenever I tried opening file with code I’ve been given a strange error message. From the message it looked like some problems with settings. So I tried to make a screenshot of the error window (because of locking focus) and pasted it into MS Paint. This is what I’ve got:
Error_Message

Ok, I had my phone with me so I was able to work around the issue:
Error_Message_Camera

Now I was able to go to the Options and try to find what might cause it. Unfortunately most of tabs had not been working and some („All Languages” if I recall correctly) even caused VS to restart… Then I decided to reset all settings. And then I received something similar to what was described several months ago in following ticket:
Cannot open any code files

When I try to open up a C# code file an error pops up. The error that occurs states that „No EditorOptionDefinition export found for the given option name: Adornments/HighlightCurrentLine/Enable Parameter name: optionId”
I tried to reset my settings but I then received the following error „Your settings were reset, but there were some errors.
Error 1: Task List Display Settings: The tasklist format has changed.
Error 2: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚All Languages’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 3: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚Basic’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 4: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚C/C++’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 5: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚CSS’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 6: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚C#’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 7: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚CoffeeScript’ [code 5455].
Error 8: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚F#’ [code 5455&#93.
(…)
Error 18: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚XAML’ [code 5455&#93.
Error 19: An error occurred while importing settings for ‚XML’ [code 5455&#93.”

(I added a bit of formatting to exaggerate core issues.)

Unfortunately this issue has been closed (as not reproducible) so I could not comment on it, but I’d read it to the bottom. I’ve found that installing Web Essentials extension (for update 2) fixed problem for some user. But I’d had it already, so I’d decided to try the opposite approach:

1. Uninstall Web Essentials extension
2. Restart VS
3. Reset Settings to defaults – now it works properly
4. Install Web Essentials for VS 2013 Update 3 again
5. Restart VS
6. Load solution
7. Problem fixed!

Voila. Hope I helped. (And saved some people from re-installation of VS / Windows…)